Central Railway Station
In 1902, the first railway line was built to Yerevan, connecting the city with Alexandropol (Gyumri) and Tiflis (Tbilisi). The actual station building was built in 1956.
The building of Yerevan Railway Station is a Neo-classical, small scale version of Soviet skyscrapers such as Moscow State University or Warsaw Culture Palace, with a high spire serving as an axis of symmetry, based on a design by the artist Martiros Sarian and depicting a five-pointed Soviet star above Mount Ararat with a bunch of grapes and ears of wheat below.
The Railway Station building dominates Sasoun Square, featuring the statue of David of Sasoun (hero of the Armenian epic tale) as a centrepiece. The station is located in Erebuni, one of the twelve districts of Yerevan, taking its name from the Urartian fortress.
Address: Sasuntsi Davit Square, Yerevan